The SSE Arena, Wembley Press Office
Facts & Figures
- The O2 arena
- The SSE Arena, Wembley
- indigo at The O2
- Up at The O2 & Destination
The SSE Arena, Wembley
- The SSE Arena, Wembley started out as the Empire Pool and Sports Arena in 1934 – the swimming pool is still intact underneath the standing floor.
- The SSE Arena, Wembley has been a dedicated concert venue for 60 years as of 2019.
- In its guise as The Empire Pool, the venue played a key role in the 1948 Olympic Games - hosting Swimming, Diving and Boxing. When the games returned to London in 2012, it was again a host – this time for Badminton and Rhythmic Gymnastics
- The glass roof was painted out with dark paint when the Blackout was imposed at the start of World War II.
- The Empire Pool was used for public Ice Skating every winter in the 1930s and 1940s.
- Cliff Richard has played the most shows at the venue – 63 in total.
- The Beatles played their last ever UK show at the venue in 1966 – they shared their dressing room with Roy Orbison and The Walker Brothers.
- The first act to headline the arena solo was The Monkees in 1967. They played 5 shows in 3 days.
- Whitney Houston is the biggest selling female artist in the venue’s history – performing at the venue 29 times.
- Alice Cooper and Status Quo have both played the venue every decade since the 1960s.